02.21.2018 | by Patrick Voelker, Executive Administrator
During our Sunday services we have been talking about Outreach. Outreach to our local communities, regionally, and globally. Why? Because as people who follow Jesus, we are called to love and serve others. It is who we need to be because Jesus loves us and He calls us to do the same for others.
Let’s take a look at what Jesus has said in this area:
- “But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, 28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20
- “A dispute also arose among them, as to which of them was to be regarded as the greatest. 25 And he said to them, ‘The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those in authority over them are called benefactors. 26 But not so with you. Rather, let the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the leader as one who serves. 27 For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves.'” Luke 22
- “After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to go. 2 And he said to them, ‘The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore, pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.'” Luke 10
Being a follower of Jesus involves a life of service. Not a grudgingly, joyless, life. But a fulfilled life. A life with purpose, joy, engagement, and energy. Believers in a church serve each other because we not only are we commanded to do so, but it is what draws us closer to Jesus, and brings fulfillment into our lives. This is true as well when we serve our neighbors, in our communities, and around the world.
Is there joy in your life? Do you feel fulfilled? Do you have a sense of purpose? If not, perhaps what you should be asking is: how am I serving? Or perhaps, am I serving at all? These are questions that if you answer truthfully, may bring about a huge change in your life.
How to SERVE!
Dig in, and SERVE. You won’t be the same if you do. Not sure how to begin? Try these steps:
- Contact River of Life to see how you can serve here:
- Stop by the Welcome Center in the lobby on Sunday mornings
- Call the church office – 763-441-7527
- Email the church
- Check out information on serving at the Welcome Center in the church lobby for:
- How to sign up for a Global Outreach trip to Nicaragua or Costa Rica
- Sign up for serving on a Crises Relief Team to Texas or other areas
- Find information on places and ways to serve in our local communities
- Check out information on our Website: